Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fly Fishing Gear - Sometimes Forgotten But Much Needed

In several of my other articles I have discussed many types of fly fishing gear that all fly fishing newbie's should own. After reviewing some of my previous tips I noticed I left out two very important pieces of fly fishing gear

The fly-fishing vest- Not sure why this is important?

Fly fishing in a river or stream many times you will find yourself moving from spot to another to seek out that monster trout. Why would you want to waste all your time running back to the bank to grab your tackle box? Wearing a fly vest allows you the convenience of having all the needed equipment on you at all times to keep you mobile. You can stock your vest with the essentials: fly box and selection of necessary flies, extra tippets, line, leader, tools, net, and chewing tobacco. I find a good chew on the stream is always needed :)

A wading belt - I have shoulder straps, why would I need a belt?

Have you ever tried to get your clippers, fly, or chew from the bottom of your waders after you dropped them deep inside your waders? If you have been fly fishing for any length of time I'm sure you have lost something down the front of your waders. If you had been wearing a wading belt you could have avoided this mid-stream struggle. The most important benefit of the often-overlooked piece of fly-fishing equipment is that it keeps you alive. Is this really possible, how? A properly worn wading belt can keep air locked inside and water out for that time when you walk without paying attention and plunge into deep water. It acts as a float tube and keeps you from sinking like a lead weight. Nothing kills your fishing mood like drowning!

No comments:

Post a Comment