Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween "Monster Mash" is - It's Time Bobby Pickett

This interview was part of a series done as a sideline for a family outing. At that time I had no idea I had Mississippi on a bevvy executor of Oldies music in a small town on. I just used and I backed up several interviews.

The scene was Trempealeau, Wisconsin, late at night. Outside of the great Mississippi River flowed the chaos going around carelessly on its banks.

Inside the hotel Trempeleau historian, I was sitting at a table andobserve the mass confusion. All around me people pushed and pushed and tried to take a look, and if you are really lucky, a word and an autograph of their favorite star oldies. As a journalist, I would be there a little 'and was quite happy with many of them, so I just waited to die on the grill to get some more interviews.

In the midst of all that has gone by Bobby Pickett, so the autograph tables set at the end of the room. He was tall, tall, blond and gray. Weexchanged a few harmless comments and asked if I wanted to talk to me.

The only place that was not aligned with the people and the noise was coach of the actors, so we went there. Once inside, it was a different world. I had seen these buses on television, for example, when a news anchor interviewed a performer who would not fly. . . but I never had a close and personal would be seen, and certainly not from within. It 'was a literal movement of air conditioning, mini-hotel.

I had met earlier in the BobbyIn the evening, on the same bus, while the interviews Tiny Tim. At that time Bobby was sitting quietly in a corner listening and smiling, said that some of the Wild Things Are Tiny Tim. Because of their many trips together, Bobby was not used for Tiny Tim "Miss" surprised my name.

Just like Bobby offered me a place now, he jokingly called me "Miss Linda". Here is a man who had had great success in his life, but until there's a Monster Mash Halloween, it was aKnowing that he would live Bobby Pickett. Some people knew his name, few knew his face, but when he opened his mouth and began to sing that song, it was immediately recognized. This has irritated me. It 'was a celebration of great excess without anger.

I asked about his background.

"Man," he said, "I started impressions, five-minute sketch on the monster movie in the fifties. On the way back from Korea on a troop transport ship, I sang with a group. 'A stateMan, this thing has to horror films. It was Boris Karloff, Boris Karloff and thought I had much the better, so I do, "shrugged his shoulders," he raised his brain. I asked where he was and said it taken away from Jack Carter. I told him that I feel free to rip him off! "

He laughed heartily. "So I did. I left the army and who have talent competitions and has always won. I went to Hollywood, because I wanted to be an actor. Ironically, I ran into four guys from my hometown inMassachusetts. They formed a singing group and I said that I had experience. I started with them and one of the songs we sang Little Darlin '. In the middle is monolougue, so I asked the driver if I could do as Boris Karloff. Each time, cracking the public.

. "One night after a concert, said we should record something new with my voice, Karloff, something like" Purple People Eaters, I said I was not interested, I had to leave the band to pursue my acting career, yaYa da da. "

Bobby made a face. "A year passed and nothing happened in terms of, so I called him and told him that I wanted to write lyrics to know that in May 1962, we are not Monster Mash, in about three hours. We knew only one person in the music business, Gary Paxton, and we took it. He wanted to produce it and then in May we have it. In less than two hours feel. In two days it was done. "

At this time his expression of disbelief was recalled. "I do not thinkIt would go anywhere. I said I wanted a few copies, because I loved friend, Boris Karloff, then I'm gone. I had no idea it would catch on. I just thought it was something to do. "The surprise was all the more friendly in her eyes." But within eight weeks it was number one. "

I added that he had never forgotten since.

"It 'was a shock!" he agreed.

It was striking to this day he, too, somewhere around Halloween, and you feel played?

"Not anymore. My fathersays that Halloween became Guy Lombardo of Halloween. Monster Mash by the national anthem. "He smiled, even in the face of evil." So now I kind of expect it and get upset when I do not. "

We talked a lot of time in the trailer, located on the banks of the Mississippi. We discussed his life, not hit the sale of his bread and butter, and he told me, after all that work must be able to act in his first great love. In the sixties, hashave a lot of TV series. He now lives in Boston, is single and works regularly with Nick's Stage One Theatre.

Bobby Pickett was a nice guy. The perfect gentleman. Of all the interviews I did that night was without doubt the most beautiful. After all these years of listening to Monster Mash, it was a pleasure to discover that the person behind the voice Chevrolet seemed down to earth as mother and apple pie.

My hat Pickett in front of you, Bobby! It 's time that thisMonster Mash. Every year at this time, the Miss Linda recalled our interview.

El Jay Alexander - Author's Note, 2008: Bobby Pickett died April 25, 2007. The Man Behind the Monster Mash was silenced in life. . . He lives every year in October! I still think of you, Bobby, when I hear your song wicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment